- WEB STARTUPS
- WEB JOBS
- ALL TOPICS
Would You Pay $1 For A Feed?
Before you read this article, I’d ask that you ignore how things are today, I want you to free your mind of the current model so you can fully absorb what I am going to suggest. With that said, here we go.
What if blogs and journals offered a full feed for $1 per month with no ads, mobile access, etc. Would you subscribe for a buck? What I am proposing is the following forms of monetization: standard Web site with ads, partial feed with no ads, and a full feed with no ads for $1/month.
So many of the people I speak with daily subscribe to a ton of full feeds and never visit a site after picking up the feed. Some say that feeds strengthen the interactivity with a site because when they read the post, they are more likely to come to the site to comment. Sure, it’s easy to jam an advertisement into a feed, but what if there was another way to provide a revenue stream for a blogger to live off of and for the consumer to enjoy the media knowing they are supporting the content they enjoy?
It’s important to remember that bloggers/journalists/writers are in the game for different purposes. Some do it just to get their thoughts out, some do it to push themselves or their product/service, and some (like me) do it to make a living. In all three cases, the writers are working to get out the best possible content.
In my model, the $1 per month would allow you to take the feed with you on any device or reader you’d like. So you could read it at home on your computer, take it with you on your iPhone, mobile, etc. If you look at ReadWriteWeb, they show 159,000 subsribers. Let’s assume that 10% would buy the feed, the other 90% would move to the free partial feed. That’s would amount to a net cash flow of nearly $200,000 for the year. All because readers enjoy the content on RWW enough to send in $1 a month. Heck, there’s more cash than that in your couch right now!
Let’s take this a bit further and look at bundle offerings. I believe bundles would be where this model really shows its strength based on the pricing. A few sample bundles you could subscribe to the following "bundles" for $4.95 a month (works out to about 50 cents per sub in a bundle:
- Mathew Ingram
- Marketing Pilgrim
- Jeremiah Owyang
Making money bundle:
- Search Engine Journal
- SEO Book
- Search Engine Roundtable
- TopRank Blog
This idea would only work if everyone is in. If enough sites sit out and offer a free full feed (with or without ads), then this idea would never work. But if everyone is in the boat, it could work. And it could provide a better stream of revenue, one that could even replace advertising all together as a source of revenue. I am guessing most of my readers will be against this program, but I thought it is a good topic for discussion – new channels of revenue for blogs and journalists in this new economy.
As a consumer, would you buy into this program? As a publisher, would you support this type of program? If not, why? Be honest.