- WEB STARTUPS
- WEB JOBS
- ALL TOPICS
Future of Web Apps – Tantek Çelik
Tantek from Technorati discussed Microformats. From speaking to some attendees, they felt like this was the best discussion of the day. Really useful information that can be put to use by everyone in attendance. The basic idea is that Microformats are a way to use HTML to a new level. He showed ways to take basic HTML pages and turn them into vCards and hCalendars with very little work. I suggest downloading the presentation using the link below.
The presentation is available here:
What are Microformats?
- Microformats enable the publishing and sharing of higher fidelity information on the web
- Building blocks that enable users to own, control, move, and share their data on the web
- Small bits of XHTML that identify richer data types like people and events in your webpages
- The fastest and simplest way to provide an API or your website
More than just "good class names"
- principles keep things micro
- process emphasizes getting real
- community minimizes duplicates
- solve a specific problem
- simple as possible
- Humans first, machines second
- Reuse from widely adopted standards
- Decentralized development, content, services
Microformats Creation Process:
- Pick a specific, simple problem and define it
- Research and document current web publishing behavior
- Document existing formats in the problem area