- WEB STARTUPS
- WEB JOBS
- ALL TOPICS
My Common Man Take On The Apple Macbook Air w/video
I’ve been considering moving from a pc laptop and pc desktop to a Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL) Macbook for both home and travel use. Everyone told me to wait for today to see what would come out. Here is my take from a non-Apple user and a common man. I currently use a Dell 700m 12" laptop which I absolutely have enjoyed from the day I purchased it almost 3 years ago.
The Macbook Air is beautiful looking like most Apple products. It would be a great choice for me as I visit loads of companies and travel a bit. And for me, carrying lighter weight items is better. It might even help me with the ladies.
But here’s why I am not rushing to the pre-order button:
- has no ram upgrade ability
- the connectors are all only for the Air – so no asking a friend to borrow his or hers on a presentation – meaning you will need to buy another set – so much for getting a “free set” with purchase
- no firewire connection
- there’s no wired internet connection – how do you connect from a hotel/office with only wired internet? oh yea, another $30!
- priced almost 2x as much as a standard Macbook and the same price as the Macbook Pro (this is the big factor in decision making)
- slower than the slowest standard Macbook
- has a non-replaceable battery – James updates me by saying this Air has a 5 hour battery while the normal Macbook has a 1.5 hour battery – for comparison, my Dell 700M has a 5.5 hour battery
- not sure if it can run all day with no fan as I would use it 24 hours a day
I totally get the crowd that Apple goes for with their products. I’ve got 3 weeks to decide and read the reviews from the gadget blogs and experts. If you do plan on getting one, Amazon has them listed at $1794 with no tax and free shipping – might work out to about a $200 savings over purchasing at Apple retail/online stores.
Do you plan on getting one? If so, leave a comment on what you will be replacing please.
Allen do want though :)