- WEB STARTUPS
- WEB JOBS
- ALL TOPICS
Last Minute SXSW Tips & Convention Center Changes
So today begins the annual event known as SXSW. I am just back to the office after grabbing my Interactive badge. I wanted to share some last minute SXSW 2011 tips and some changes that I noticed as I walked around the convention center. If you want a more detailed list of tips and suggestions, check out my SXSW Primer. I plan on attending the Lean Startup day on Saturday and the Google Developers Event on Sunday. My goal this year is to meet CloudContacts customers, meet potential partners for CloudContacts and conduct startup interviews for CenterNetworks.
- If you haven’t already posted your photo on the SXSW Social site, do so before you go to retrieve your badge. This will speed up the registration line and you will also get the picture you want on your badge versus some webcam photo.
- CapMetro transit is running their MetroRail service on Friday night and Saturday – this is the tram that stops right outside the convention center. If you are staying at a hotel near one of the MetroRail stations, it might be easier and cheaper to just use the tram.
- Austin360 has a list of parties on the “side” – meaning no badge is required.
- Apple is opening a pop-up shop near the convention center on Congress Avenue in case you want to buy the new iPad 2 when it arrives tomorrow.
- The registration location has moved to the Hall 1 – it’s near the far end of the convention center – near 2nd street or as far away from the big escalators at the front
- There are a LOT more food vendors than previous years – looks like everything pretty much starts at $6 – my suggestion is to make sure to pack a bottle of water so you don’t get robbed
- The lego pit near the escalators is gone – I really liked the designs people came up with and the good meeting location – it’s been replaced by Chevy.
- There are now about 30 tables near the big escalators at the front – the volunteer section has been removed
- Remember parking meters don’t run on the weekend so if you can grab one of those spots, you got a free pass (double check all rules, I am not responsible if you park incorrectly)
- You can call the conference “south by southwest” or “sxsw” – never “south by” – thank you for your adherence to this important notice
- It looks like everyone attending this conference is some sort of “social media expert” based on the conversations I heard in the registration line
Most of all – be safe and have some fun! The weather looks perfect for walking and relaxing here in Austin – keep it weird!