- WEB STARTUPS
- WEB JOBS
- ALL TOPICS
Welp, my third SXSW has come and gone and each year the days fly by. They say that if time moves fast you are having a good time. And a good time I had. The interactive festival did seem more subdued than previous years. As in years past, the best part was meeting CN readers and making new contacts. Nearly every conversation I participated in was intelligent and I’ve learned a lot from the overall festival. I can’t speak to the party scene as I didn’t hit many of them. I handed out hundreds of CN stickers!
I was asked by a reporter if there was a breakout product or service this year and my answer was no. I also think Twitter was quieter this year than previous years. And thats a good thing.
Here’s the CN coverage from SXSW 2009:
- SXSW 2009 Schwag Bag Video
- SXSW: The Bats and the Birds
- SXSW Live Blogging: Facebook Connect Launched for iPhone
- Exclusive: Video With Loic LeMeur on Seesmic Facebook Client
- SXSW: Nutshell Mail Demo
- SXSW Photos
- Entrecard Launches Ad Network and Credit Buy Back Program
- SXSW – Cannybill Web Invoicing and Billing Service
- SXSW Demo Video – Pixton Comic Creation Tool
- SXSW Demo Video – Tatango Group SMS
- SXSW Video – Tactile CRM for Small Businesses
- SXSW Photos – Part II
- SXSW 2009: Mobile Trends Toward Futurism, Commerce, Laziness
- SXSW Video: Regator – Curated Blog Aggregator
- SXSW Video: 99designs – Design Contests
- SXSW Video: Lil’Grams – Twitter-Like Service for New Parents
- DandyID Demo Video – One Stop Data Collection and Data Portability
See you in 2010!
I am live blogging the SXSW Panel with Dave Morin from Facebook, "The search for a more social Web." To see the latest content, please refresh the page until I note that the post has completed.
comments are all from dave morin…
- never been a better time to be working on the web. walks through how we have apparently been social all the way back to the time of cavemen.
- takes us through a history of how we were social – though email, chat, etc
- at facebook we have been trying to map out the most social web over the last few years
- as time has gone on, the graph has changed a little bit
- the graph is becoming much more interesting – we’ve created this better stream of infomration
- the stream is an important concept and a template for the future
- with facebook connect i can connect to more things
- obama is in his stream
- public profiles are all about connecting with people who care about you
- gary vaynerchuk speaks about his new facebook profile – nothing you haven’t heard from him before
- back to dave – you have more control over the stream than ever before – this is the new homepage he is demoing
- all new concept – the publisher – looks exactly the same to me as before
- shows off highlights – which is the right side of the new page and highlights whatever is hot in your network
- now he changes to facebook connect – wants you to take the core facebook experience with you – take the identity with them wherever they go
- six thousand sites using facebook connects – pimps techcrunch says the conversation is more authentic than ever before
- pimps boxee, joost, geni and aardvark which is some social search
- talks about facebook connect for the desktop with xobni and soon iphoto
- loic lemeur talks about seesmic.com/facebook – it’s adobe air – brand new
next steps towards openness
- they are making more apis open than ever before
- embracing openid with chris messina
- they want to take a leadership role in openid
- big commitment to opensource
facebook connect for iphone – basically you can now connect iphone applications to your iphone
- playfish demo – play your games with your facebook friends
- sgn social gaming network – more games – agency wars is their new game – you play against your friends
- tapulous – more games with facebook connect – they wanted to be more social
- urbanspoon – rest. guide – 1 million in their db
- flixster – he cant find anyything he wants to see – but now zip zap if you have an iphone – you can connect to your friends – Movies 2.0 went live today in the app store
- more too – zynga, gary’s game and more coming soon – citizen sports, goodrec and limbo
fbFund – new round of funding for facebook connect and the iphone specifically
After waiting on line exactly 60 minutes to get my badge, I was able to pick up the exciting SXSW 2009 schwag bag. I have nicknamed it the, "bag of crap" since it seems to always contain items of no actual use or value. This is our third year of providing these very exciting videos.
If you’d like any of the items in the bag, hit the contact form on CN and send in your address and which item you’d like. First come, first served.
(ignore my horrible cold)
Can’t make it to Times Square this year for the New Year’s Eve bash? Don’t want to go out in what looks to be a freezing cold, blustery night? Would you rather ring in the new year on Friendfeed or Twitter? I’ve got two words for you: Mogulus and Hulu.
NY-based online video streaming provider Mogulus has setup a New Year’s Eve Times Square channel which will be live from 4pm ET tonight. They have partnered with some of the Gannett properties which will run the feed on their newspaper websites as well.
Hulu will run a live channel from Times Square beginning at 10pm ET. Hulu notes that their coverage, “will include views of Times Square and the crystal ball, plus the ambient sounds of the party as NYC winds up to count down to 2009.”
UPDATE: Check out 2010 New Year’s eve video options
Happy New Year to all of the awesome CN readers. Please be safe! 2009 looks to be a very exciting year!