- WEB STARTUPS
- WEB JOBS
- ALL TOPICS
Techcrunch40 Session 1 – Search and Discovery
This first set is from the search and discovery. Reload this page to see the latest info – I will note when the post is complete.
- they check every single word and phrase on the web –
- they parse the web
- powerset is learning from the web
- today they are opening powerset labs – explore technology, share ideas, feed the learning engine, improve your search karma
- Includes quotes to search wikipedia, business to search wikipedia for company info and powermouse for searching facts from wikipedia
- the powerset labs seems to use wikipedia – they show a search results with powerset vs. other guys
- they ask you to vote which is better – helps them build the better results
- voting helps you earn brownie points for powerset labs
- Powermouse shows you connections between x thing and y thing – their example is hulk hogan "defeated" and then showed katrina related to new orleans – this looks pretty cool – also showed paris hilton related to sex
- i cant tell for sure but it looks like the search is only from wikipedia
- its still not live btw – i dont get it
It’s Symbolically, isolated, linguistically, variable, intelligence, algorithms
Its a virtual woman’s face and he has a conversation with the face
Reminds me of that movie with will smith irobot
he tells her to open a wod doc and she opens it
they should have done a pre-recorded demo – it didnt pick it up correctly
the program extracts the meaning from what you say so you dont have to say the same thing every time – it seems smarter but the voice is still boring :)
she says she could be used for call centers or educational applications
can be deployed anywhere – toys, games, mobile devices, web servers, custom embedded
well recognized brands at the ceo shows will be demoing silvia technology inside
to find out more – go to www.cognitivecode.com
- they want to index all of the videos on the web
- they take you to the most relevant result
- team is husband and wife
- video search involves lots of tough and interesting challenges
- casttv is solving these challenges with their platform
- it’s a p2p search
- i dont know if i understand what this does honestly
- but it seems to use everyones pc to generate the search engine instead of needing millions of servers – they claim this will save $1B in costs
- they have a sidebar for additional results using the p2p search engine
- you can change the contributed resources for each user
- Viewdle is a search that is a revolutionary digital face recognition software
- has been developed over 35 years???
- it tells you who the face is of as you watch a video – seems interesting
- you can jump inside a video to just the parts where x person is
- they are partnered with reuters labs
- opening the platform using widgets so anyone can leverage the platform
- allen’s question – what happens if you jump to a face in the video and pass the ad at the beginning?
Mark Andressen – most of the startups compete with Google – how do you get people to another site and distribution?
- powerset - its about creating new opportunities, if you are better then users will come and refer their friends
Chris Anderson – the p2p search was the most interesting
Om Malik – in most of the p2p systems, people will turn off sharing of resources – how do you overcome that and how do you get people to join it
- faroo p2p search – self-interest makes people not want to turn off the resources
Marissa Mayer – I would like to know more about your matching algo for the video search engines
- casttv - we have been scaling as the video market grows – relevancy is a very tough problem – we are matching 3rd party sites and supplementing the meta data
- viewdle – matches faces and its not just a collection of pictures, we dont store the videos on our site, we just keep the index and just refernce the point in the video stream
Ryan Block – Most people have used a chat bot before – you basically have 5 seconds before people think its a crappy widget – do you see your product working better as an enabler for other technologies vs and end-all tech?
cognitive code – oh yes, we plan to do that – this is just the first launch vehicle – we are looking to enable silvia to more complex data behind the scenes
Jason to Om – which of these companies will be around in 5 years and which will be acquired?
Om – casttv – most likely to be acquired they have solved the issue of video discovery
Om – cognitive code – most likely to be around in 5 years
Om – powerset is my middle of the road pick
Om – faroo is very interesting – just wondering how many people will join the network
Om – viewdle – reuters will buy them
Jason to Marissa – do you believe people will never switch off Google?
Marisa – the switching costs for low – the challenge is that google is a one-stop shop, its hard to be just a one technology shop
Marisa – casttv seems to be very solid on freshness and using clustering technology
Jason to Mark – which would you invest in?
- Mark – I am an investor in CastTV – hum, why not put him on a different panel?
- Mark - they all have big goals which can make it scary
- Mark – I would put all 4 in the potential bucket but i would need more time to review
I thought the panel was going to give feedback on the actual demos and apps, not an open discussion. There are also a lot people standing – must be crazy to stand considering you might have paid $2,500.